Tuesday, October 14

Helloo


Just a quick post. I'm still glazing. If I did not stop now I could be done and load tonight, but I started at ten this morning for the sole purpose of being able to quit early so I can go to a yoga class at 6:30, and so, I guess I will be starting the kiln tomorrow instead of tonight. It just takes soooooo long to glaze.

I kind of like the pots when they look like this. I like them better than when they are fired really. I don't practice yoga all the time, it comes and goes. I went to the local pub/spa with my grandson to get a pizza the other night and wandered into the yoga room and was like, I'm gonna take a class. I haven't taken a yoga class since college. I needed two PE credits and so took yoga for one of them, and Tai Chi for the other. I hated the Tai Chi class.

I practiced pretty consistently, on and off for a couple of years and got pretty flexible. I could fold my body completely in half. It's a really cool feeling. I can't explain it well, you'd have to experience it. Like cocooning yourself or something.

My second review shipment was accepted, with a few criticisms. So I'll be dropping the third one off next Monday. I've been watching the better part of a series I stumbled onto on PBS on the program American Experience. The series is The Presidents. Two, three, four hour shows delving into the presidencies of some of our better known presidents. I've caught Carter, Reagan, Nixon and I think one more. Nixon was last night, and the whole Watergate thing was a little before my political awareness. I remember knowing there was a Ford and Nixon running the country. I was probably only 12 or so, but obviously the details of the time were a little over my head or concern. Amazing. First the Vice President Spiro Agnew (sp?) resigns, and then the President. That's not something you see every day. What I find fascinating about these programs is how I begin to see the men in a more human light, whether or not I agree with their policies or not. I really felt a little compassion for what Nixon must have been feeling towards the end of the whole thing. It was wrong, but, people make mistakes. And then you have Reagan, going to great pains meeting with Gorbachev (spelling again) to try and work some nuclear agreement out-speaking to "the enemy". Makes you really wonder about the current Presidents communication skills and understanding of what communication is for. Ah, but I digress.

13 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

You look as if you are having way too much fun glazing! Everyone looks like they are almost ready for a party in the kiln!
Good luck with your firing- and isn't it something how the mind digest as you are working.
M

Ben Stark said...

It's funny--I think I'm the only history major that doesn't like history anymore :) Maybe I just got burned out on it in college.

Pots are looking great!! Good luck with the next shipment!

I love the contrast between glazed bisque and glaze fired wares. Especially the glazes that come out completely different from the dry glaze.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

The pots look great! Love the platter in the top pic... Hey, I don't know if I commented earlier, but I admire the way you've pitched in to help on the Obama campaign. I'm staying with a friend in North Carolina right now and she's doing the same thing. Lots of people working really hard to get the right man elected.

Judy Shreve said...

Your glaze work is really looking good. & congrats on making it through phase 2 of your jury process!

Linda Starr said...

Love the way those new pots are looking - so neatly glazed. Congrats on your jury process.

brandon phillips said...

i like your decorating, it works.

Deb said...

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone. I do hope I have a high success rate from this firing. I'm trying also to find that line to walk between too much deco and too little. I'll discover it along the way I guess.

It makes a lot of sense Ben that you're not that into history anymore. I used to love to read before I went to college (I was an English minor). My kids used to love to read before they hit the point in school where it was crammed down their throats and began to be labeled as work. It's kind of sad really to loose those things you once took pleasure in. I think teaching is not approached the right way. Maybe someday you'll find the exitement again for something you once enjoyed.

I think I'm going back Friday night to work some more for the campaign. At least now I am prepared for the monotonous work I am in for. Oh well, it's for a good purpose.

ang design said...

oh so cool, i like this work it will be great to see the finished wares, you have been busy and excellent to see such variety of decoration...happy firing

Deb said...

Hi Ang-thanks-I finally have the kiln loaded and ready to go. Keep my toes crossed for good luck. Sorry to head about your customer.

T.Gray said...

DW, how much for the square plates/trays? I'm always looking for new dinnerware, esp. if I can work out a barter(?) You can write me offline regarding this if you like.
Later-Tom

Deb said...

Hi Tom! I don't know, I'll give it some thought. I'm not sure how these will make it through the fire, but I will put up some pictures when they are done, hopefully I will be happy with them, and if you are then we can go from there. Thank you so much for your interest.

doug Fitch said...

I really like those spotty panels that you do. A while ago I made a little sprig stamp for my mugs inspired by one of your decos - thanks! I'll post a picture when they come through the kiln. All's looking lovely at your end

Deb said...

Hi Doug-I can't wait to see the stamp you made. I hope it is working out better for you than my glazing. Not going so well here.