Tuesday, December 2

Lots of pictures

Okey Doke. I've got a lot of photos up here. Some for good reasons, some for bad. The creamyish glaze above, although not awful, I have decided I find a little boring. Adam says he thinks it might sell well though-to those people who kind of want things that blend in easily with their home decors. If they do, I might make more at least to run this glaze out. But they don't get me excited.

This platter came out really nice-except-if you blow it up you can see some considerable pinholing. that is the problem of the day. Pinholing. I think I may know why though. since I put the slip onto bisque, although I have managed to keep it from cracking and splitting, I still think it is shrinking enough in some parts to create little tiny fissures. some of the pinholes have little tiny linesrunnying from them which leads me to this theory. so, I am slipping all my work in the greenware state now. I will have to spray the larger pieces for now. I can't imagine holding them withought breaking them and trying to keep slip from getting on the outside. It's a big problem because this clay is HEAVILY grogged and so any wiping on the raw ware exposes a very rough surface.

I dipped a lot of the pieces aka Ayumi Horie and Ron Philbeck style. I've always felt I had to create this pristine finish, but the finger mark, and sort of record of the process has begun to grow on me and I kind of like it.

So more beads I made last night. I keep getting a lot of comments about making more, so maybe I should listen. If I'm going to be sitting there watching Futurama (yah I did last night) and the Colbert Report, I might as well make a little money at the same time.

Here is one of my salsa/dip bowls.

A photo of some of the spread. I have a considerable amount of work that I consider sellable-even the boring unexciting creamy stuff. I gotta get it out to the galleries.

My little test cups all trimmed and slipped. Often I use standing tiles, but when I am really testing hardcore-like I need to know how this stuff will look and fuction on a pot-I usually try to put the glazes on little pots. I've got a bunch of tall coffee mugs and ice coffee/ice tea tumblers in the back.


This was a nice surprise. It is a new test glaze I tried. I am looking forward to trying this out on several more test pots to see how consistent it is, and what kind of variation I can get. It looks really nice with the blue, and has a kind of earthy, manyly look to it. It's all about pleasing the men.

9 comments:

Ron said...

I really like the interior color on all the pots. Very nice. And that test glaze is to die for. Does it have titanium dioxide or rutile in it? I had some thing similar once, it was somewhat unpredictable as to when it would do that juicey bluish thing. But when it did....wow!
I think you're right about the pinholing being due to the bisque slip application.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

i like the creamy white. i would add a couple of dots of color, but that is just me. looking good!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Must feel really good to be so productive. You've been putting out the ware! I really like the shape of the salsa bowls and that new test glaze is really nice.

Ben Stark said...

New work is looking great! I actually really like the creamy white. I think you will be surprised at how well they sell. The blue really compliments them too.

brandon phillips said...

i like the square dishes, they're sweet! i think the glazes look good too. pinholing isn't always a bad thing(think shino), but i can see why you wouldn't like it on that piece.

Deb said...

That test glaze has no rutile or titanium dioxide. Tons of RIO though. I was hoping to get away from glazes with a lot of RIO, but if it works out really well, I may have no choice. It's just so messy and stains so much.

It's tempting to jazz up the outside with something, but I'm really trying to be as basic as possible with this work. The nice thing is the stress in deco and glazing it has removed for me. It was quite a process before. I might do some wild stuff for fun sometimes still though and work on this more simple/austere work for the greater part of sales-if all goes well.

I usually can be pretty productive. I can put out a ridiculous amount of work when I put my mind to it. Problem is--once it comes out of the kiln, it's like I've worked for nothing. THAT is the drag. There was a good ratio of keepable work in this firing though---knock on ceramic.

Some glaze defects like in a shino or something can be cool-even beneficial-but these just look like tiny holes that didn't fire well.

Long response! Gotta go!

Linda Starr said...

I like the creamy color a lot. I agree I think folks will like it. My eye doesn't see it as boring but subtle and soft combination. I love the test glaze, it is beautiful. What a great amount of beautiful work you have.

Tracey Broome said...

Less is more.....for me anyway.
I like the first and last photo best of all.Especially the man pleasing piece, it is all about pleasing the men isn't it? Hmmm.......

Clay Perry said...

wow, your work is really good, i love it...