Tuesday, March 4

Bluer Than Blue

I love these pots. It might be hard to see in the photo but they are covered with fine craze lines.
I have tended to avoid making covered pots in the past because making lids that fit well is challenging but also very satisfying when you get it right. The designs in the sides are from plaster stamps that I carved. I've tried making stamps from clay but find plaster to be far easier to work with. I made a long squarish form of plaster, maybe and inch and a half wide and sliced it into chunks. Once it sets up, carve away. The nice thing is that if you don't like it you don't loose the stamp. Just scrape off the design you just made until it is a flat surface again and try again. I made these stamp blanks over a year ago and they are still fine to work with.

No comments: